Animal Control

Woman petting a dog

Huronia Animal Control provides animal control services for the Town of Penetanguishene. Enforcement of the Town's Dog Licensing and Control By-law includes: at large, vicious attacks and poop-and-scoop violations.

Reporting Animal Concerns

  • To report concerns of animal cruelty, dogs at large, poop-and-scoop, violations or animal attacks contact: Huronia Animal Control (705) 549-2289
  • For Barking Dogs contact the Town of Penetanguishene By-law Division. Contact information is on the left side of this page.

Licensing Dogs

As stated in the Town of Penetanguishene By-law for the Licensing, Regulating and for the Control of Dogs, all owners of dogs in the Town of Penetanguishene must obtain a license for each dog that they own. To further encourage responsible pet ownership the Town of Penetanguishene has a pro-rated fee when dog tags are obtained before the last day of February of every year.

To obtain a dog tag(s), you must complete and submit an Application for a Dog Tag.

The application, along with any other documents and fee payment, can be submitted in person at the Townhall, for your convenience, tags can be obtained at the following locations:

  • Townhall, 10 Robert Street West, during regular business hours (8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday to Friday).
  • Penetanguishene Library, 24 Simcoe Street, during regular business hours (10:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Monday to Friday and 10:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Saturday).

Please complete the Dog License Form and return in person with payment and a certificate that the dog(s) has been inoculated with an anti-rabies vaccine to one of the above noted locations (Renewals will not be accepted by mail). $15.00 per license prior to February 28, 2022 $30.00 per license from March 1 to December 31, 2022 Please note that there is a maximum of two (2) dogs permitted per dwelling unit.

For further information on the rabies vaccination

Rabies Clinics

Why License Your Dog?

Should your dog wander away from you or your property or is injured on the road, a dog license enables the Town's Animal Control Officer to contact you quickly and easily.

Who to Notify if you move or your Dog Passes Away?

If you have a current dog license and your pet has passed away please let us know by contacting the Town Office or emailing By-Law Enforcement. Your dog license record will be updated so that you will no longer receive dog license reminders for your dog.

Leash Requirements

The Dog Licensing and Control By-law requires that dogs be leashed when on any lands other than the premise of the owner and are deemed to be under control of a capable and responsible person if it is on a leash which leash is in the hands of an individual able to restrain the dog and/or maintain control over the dog.


Cats do not require registration or a license, however, every owner of a cat must ensure that their pets do not run at large and follow all other guidelines according to the Cat By-Law.

Be a responsible pet owner

  • License your pet
  • Not only is it a Town of Penetanguishene By-law, it's protection for your pet
  • Pick up after your pet
  • It's required under the Town of Penetanguishene By-law, which allows for a clean parks, green spaces and yards providing for a more livable community for everyone
  • Use a leash
  • It's required under the Town of Penetanguishene Dog Licensing and Control By-law, not only does it make your dog's life safer; it enables others to feel more comfortable enjoying our community. There is a leash-free dog park and dog beach in Rotary Park where well trained dogs can enjoy the freedom.
  • No owner shall permit his or her animal to trespass or to be at large in any public place or on private property without the consent of the property owner.
  • It takes more than food, water and exercise to keep an animal healthy. It also takes care.
  • Don't leave animals in parked vehicles in the summer because heat can kill your pet quickly.
  • If you leave your dog in the yard for long periods of time ensure they have shelter from the weather and are not a barking nuisance to your neighbours.
  • Take your pet to the vet for regular checkups and vaccinations.

Prohibited Animals

Q. What animals are prohibited under the Prohibited Animals By-law?

A. The full list of prohibited animals is within the Schedules of the By-law, which can be found here. There is a significant range of animals on the prohibited list including all venomous reptiles, amphibians and insects.

Q. Does the by-law apply to all snakes?

A. All venomous/poisonous snakes are prohibited. Snakes that exceed two (2) metres in length are prohibited.

Q. Does the by-law apply to all lizards?

A. All venomous or poisonous lizards are prohibited. Lizards that exceed two (2) metres in length from snout to tip of tail are prohibited.

Q. I have questions that are not on this list. Who can I call?

A. Contact the By-law Enforcement Department at 705-549-7453 or Animal Control Officer at 705-549-2289 for more information.