Civil Wedding Ceremonies and Marriage License

couple exchanging rings


Marriage Licences are issued at the Municipal Office during office hours from 8:30 am to 4:30 pm, Monday to Friday.  The current fee for a marriage licence for a Town of Penetanguishene resident is $100.00, if you aren't a resident of the Town of Penetanguishene the licence fee is $125.00.

Civil Wedding Ceremonies

Current fees (as of May 1, 2019) are as follows:

Resident of the Town of Penetanguishene:

  • During office hours - $200.00 (plus HST)
  • After office hours and/or off site - $250.00 (plus HST)

Non-resident of the Town of Penetanguishene:

  • During office hours - $250.00 (plus HST)
  • After office hours and/or off site - $300.00 (plus HST)

Other applicable fees:

  • Municipality to provide witnesses - $15.00 per witness
  • Require officiant to attend rehearsal at a different time than the ceremony - $50.00
  • Mileage to location outside Penetanguishene - $20.00

Marriage Certificates

You may apply for a marriage certificate from Service Ontario six to eight weeks after your marriage ceremony. There are two ways to apply:

Before you Get Married

For a list of religious officials authorized to perform marriages in Ontario as well as other important information, visit Service Ontario's Getting Married.

Name Change

After your marriage, you may apply to change your last name through Service Ontario

Special Circumstances

Getting Married in Another Country: If you are planning to get married in another country, you may require a Marriage Letter (also known as a Search Letter or Letter of Non-Impediment) confirming that there is no record of a marriage for you registered in Ontario. You may obtain this letter by applying to the Office of the Registrar General. To get married in another country, you must contact the country's embassy or consulate for more information.

Getting Married in Another Province or Territory: If you're getting married in another province or territory in Canada you must contact the province's or territory's vital statistics office for information.

Divorced Outside Of Canada: If you were divorced outside of Canada, you must obtain authorization from the Minister of Consumer and Business Services before a marriage license can be issued to you. To obtain this authorization you will need to contact the Office of the Registrar General Marriage Office in Thunder Bay.