Utility Payment Options


Town of Penetanguishene
10 Robert Street West, P.O. Box 5009
Penetanguishene, Ontario L9M 2G2

In Person

  • Payments can be made by cash, cheque or debit in person at Town Hall between 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday to Friday.
  • After hours Drop Box (no cash please)
  • Cheques, payable to the Town of Penetanguishene, placed in an envelope may be dropped off at Town Hall in the drop box located at the front doors.

Post Dated Cheques

Post dated cheques, payable to the Town of Penetanguishene, will be held for deposit on the date of the cheque.

Internet/Telephone Banking

Utility bills can be paid by telephone or the internet through financial institutions using the Water/Sewer account # (XXX-XXXXX-XXX). Please allow 3-5 days for the funds to reach the Town of Penetanguishene's bank account.

Financial Institutions

Present your utility bill at most banks/financial institutions to make a payment. Please allow 3-5 days for the funds to reach the Town of Penetanguishene's bank account.

Pre-Authorized Payment Plans

  • The Town of Penetanguishene offers a Pre-Authorized payment plan for Utility payments.
  • Payments on Regular Due Dates (Quarterly Payments only). The amount of the account balance for water will be deducted from your bank account on the date it is due.

How to Enroll

  1. Complete the Preauthorized Payment Application Form. (If you own more than one property in Town, please complete a separate form for each property).
  2. Attach a VOID cheque to the application form (line of credit cheques and credit cards cannot be used).
  3. Return the application form and void cheque to the Town Hall.
  4. You may cancel your authorization at any time with 30 days notice to the Finance Department. If you change bank accounts, please notify the Finance Department in writing 30 days in advance of change. We will not stop payments after the 21st of the month.

Returned Payment Fee

The municipality will charge a fee of $40.00 to the utility account to cover the processing of any returned payment.

If you have any questions regarding your utility bill, please contact the Tax Collector/Utility Billing.