Lottery Licensing

Bingos, Raffles and Nevada

Eligible charitable and religious organization may raise funds through provincially or municipally licensed lottery events. The Alcohol and Gaming Commission (AGCO) is responsible for administering the lottery licensing program in the province – municipalities are partners with the AGCO in issuing lottery licences to eligible charitable and religious organizations.

Lottery licensing refers to lottery schemes permitted by a licence and may include bingos, raffles, break open tickets and social gaming events held by the charitable or religious organizations. Licensed charitable or religious organizations must conduct and manage their events in accordance with licensing policies and the terms and conditions of the licenses and fulfill all prescribed reporting requirements.

To be eligible to receive a lottery licence, the Applicant must qualify as a Charitable, Religious or Non-profit organization.

Eligibility Package

The qualifications are as follows:

  • The Relief of Poverty
  • The Advancement of Education
  • The Advancement of Religion
  • Other Charitable Purposes Beneficial to the Community

An organization must be in existence for at least one year before being considered eligible for lottery licensing.

Ineligible Groups:

  • Profit making entities
  • No charitable purpose or object
  • Promotes private benefits to a restricted class of members
  • Establishes solely for the purpose of adult recreation
  • Establishes for the purpose of tourism or other activities that are purely economic in nature; or
  • Sub-group, “partner” or auxiliary of an eligible organization that is already licensed

What else do I need to know?

All proceeds from lottery events must be deposited into a designated lottery trust account and reported on regularly until all proceeds are spent.

How to Obtain a Lottery Licence

For further information on obtaining a Lottery Licence (i.e. Bingo, Nevada, Raffle) please contact the Town Clerk Monday to Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.

The following forms can be downloaded or they can be obtained in person at the Townhall or from the Alcohol and Gaming Commission of Ontario’s website.

Licence Applications /Terms & Conditions / Report Forms: