Council Highlights May 10, 2023
Council Highlights provide a brief overview of noteworthy decisions and presentations made at Town of Penetanguishene Council meetings. Detailed agendas and minutes from the meetings are available on our website. This meeting is available for viewing on our YouTube Channel.
Council convened in Closed Session in accordance with the Town of Penetanguishene Procedural By-law 2019-25 to discuss personal matters about an identifiable individual, including municipal or local board employees.
- Committee appointments (Museum & Heritage, Town Dock Technical Advisory, Property Standards, Line Fence Viewers)
- Mayor Rawson made the following proclamations: May 2023 as “May is Museum Month”, May 1 – 7, as Children’s Mental Health Week and May 21-27, 2023 as VON Week in the Town of Penetanguishene.
- Council presented the Director of Emergency Services/Fire Chief, Richard Renaud with a years of service award for 25 years of dedicated service.
- Council presented the following community organizations with cheques: Penetanguishene Garden Society, Georgian Bay General Hospital Foundation, and the Southern Georgian Bay Physician Recruitment as part of the 2023 Budget Contributions to Community Organizations.
- Council received a presentation from Urban Metrics Inc. regarding the Market Gap Analysis Study.
- Council received a delegation from the Royal Victoria Hospitals CEO, Gail Hunt regarding partnering for Health Future.
- Council received a memo from the Director of Planning regarding Committee Appointments (Administrative Monetary Penalties By-law, Short Term Rental By-law, Property Standards By-law, Line Fence Viewers Act).
- Council approved the proposed housekeeping amendment to the Site-Plan Control By-law.
- Council passed 5 by-laws, including:
- 2023-21- Being a By-law to Adopt the Budget Estimates of All Sums Required for the Year 2023
- 2023-22- Being a By-law to Set the Rates of Taxation For the Year 2023
- 2023-23- Being a By-law to Repeal and Replace By-law 2022-50 to Authorize the Execution of a loan from the Hydro Electric Commission (HEC) Reserve Fund for funding required for the purchase of 51 Dunlop Street
- 2023-24 - Being a By-law to Authorize the Entering into of a License Agreement with the Huronia Historical Parks for the provision of signage
- 2023-25 - Being a By-law to Amend Site Plan Control By-law 2014-30 for The Town of Penetanguishene
Committee of the Whole (Committee) facilitates the decision-making process of Council. The Committee is comprised of all members of Council who fully participate in debate and forward recommendations to Council for final decision. Items that are discussed in Committee of the Whole are to be ratified at Council’s next meeting.
- Committee received a presentation from the Director of Public Works regarding the Wastewater Pollution Control Plants W.P.C.P. Annual Reports 2022 for information.
- Committee received a memo from the Director of Public Works regarding Loading Concerns at 95 Main Street.
- Committee approved implementation of a New Utility Alternate Locate Protocol for GFL Environmental Inc, Flex Forward Contracting and Roto Mill.
- Committee approved the Snow Removal Level of Service Policy as presented.
- Committee approved the revised Minimum Maintenance Standards for Municipal Roads Policy as presented.
- Committee approved the recommendation for Disposal of Surplus Assets as presented.
- Committee approved the additional funds required in the amount of $60,255.88 for the wash bay engineering improvements.
- Committee received the Museum and Heritage Committee Meeting Minutes for information.
- Committee received a memo from the Director of Recreation and Community Services regarding the Gateway Relocation Construction – Tender Award for information.
- Committee received Committee of Adjustment Meeting Minutes and Economic Advisory Committee Meeting Minutes for information.
- Committee received a memo from MHBC Planning Urban Design and Landscape Architecture regarding the proposed 2023 Provincial Planning Statement.
- Committee received a memo from the Municipal Law Enforcement Officer regarding the Monthly Activity Report for April 2023.
- Committee approved the proposed new Open-Air Burning By-law as presented.
- Committee approved the Extended Use of Sidewalk By-law revision as presented.
- Committee approved the Market Gap Study and Action Plan as presented. Committee also endorsed the consideration of a Branding Strategy as part of the priorities for the Community Strategic Plan.
- Committee approved the Zoning By-law Amendment (File No. Z.A. 2/2023) 1056 Fuller Avenue to rezone a portion of the property from Deferred Development “D” Zone to Residential One “R1” Zone.
- Committee directed staff to initiation the process for designation of the Penetanguishene Angels as part of the Gateway Project.
- Committee received the 2023 Qtr. #1 Financial Summary and 2022 Financial Indicator Review for information.
- Committee received a memo from the Corporate Services Executive Assistant regarding the Community Based Strategic Plan for information.
- Committee approved the Municipal Tax-Supported Service Review as presented.
- Committee approved the 2024 Budget Timeline as presented.
- Committee approved the Clerks Department – Staffing Request as presented.
The Town of Penetanguishene publishes Council Highlights after meetings. Council encourages its residents, businesses and stakeholders to stay abreast of Council news. Council Highlights briefly describe items of interest to the public. To view detailed information about the topic, visit www.penetanguishene.ca