Property Assessment and Tax Sales

The Municipal Property Assessment Corporation (MPAC) is responsible for assessing all properties in the Town of Penetanguishene and classifying each property based on use. If you own a property, you'll receive a property assessment every four years. Review your property assessment and find out how property assessments are used to calculate your property taxes.

 As part of the Ontario Government’s Ontario Economic Outlook and Fiscal Review on November 4, 2021, Peter Bethlenfalvy, Minister of Finance and President of the Treasury Board announced the Province’s decision to once again postpone a province-wide property assessment update due to the pandemic.

Property assessments for the 2022 and 2023 property tax years will continue to be based on January 1, 2016 current values. This means your property assessment remains the same as it was for the 2021 tax year, unless there have been changes to your property, for example:

  • A change to your property including an addition, new construction, or renovation.
  • A structure on your property was assessed for the first time
  • A change to your property’s classification
  • A property no longer qualifies as farmland, conservation land or managed forests
  • All or part of your property no longer qualifies to be tax exempt

Questions about your property assessment should be directed to MPAC by calling 1(866) 296-6722 or by visiting for more information.

Your Property Assessment

Visit MPAC to learn about your property assessment. You can also view About My Property to learn more about your property assessment and you can compare your assessment to similar properties in your area.

Watch this video to learn about your property assessment.

How are my taxes calculated?

The Town of Penetanguishene uses property value assessment when calculating property taxes. Your current property assessment is multiplied by the tax rate for your class of property to calculate your property taxes.

Watch a video created by MPAC to learn more about how your property taxes are calculated.

Assessment Appeals

If you feel that the current value assessment assigned to your property is incorrect, please follow these steps:

  1. Call 1-866-296-6722 to discuss your concerns with an assessor from the Municipal Property Assessment Corporation (MPAC). You may be required to complete a Request for Reconsideration Form which is available free of charge from MPACor a form can be picked up at the Townhall.
  2. Residential property owners must file a Request for Reconsideration (RFR) prior to filing a formal appeal with the Assessment Review Board (ARB).   For residential owners, ARB appeals can be filed only if an agreement cannot be reached through discussion with an assessor as part of the RFR process.  Non residential property owners (Industrial, Commercial and Multi-residential) may choose either the RFR route or proceed directly to the ARB appeal system.  ARB appeal requests can be filed by completing an application form available from ARB.

Property Tax Sales

Please note: There are no tax sales at this time.

If property taxes remain unpaid for a specific period of time, Ontario's Municipal Act provides for the sale of the property. 

Prior to a tax sale, the Town of Penetanguishene aims to work with the property owner to develop a schedule to repay all monies owing. We see a tax sale as a last resort - and we will only initiate a tax sale if the property owner refuses or is unable to pay the amount owing in whole or through a payment schedule.

We can register a tax arrears certificate if taxes remain unpaid on vacant land or improved lands for three years prior to Jan. 1 of any year. These timelines apply to all classes of property.

A tax arrears certificate indicates the property will be sold if taxes, penalties, interest and reasonable costs incurred by the town are not paid within one year of the certificate's registration. 

Once a tax arrears certificate has been registered against the lands, partial payments cannot be accepted, unless Council approves a Tax Extension Agreement.

If the monies owing have not been paid within the one-year period, we will advertise the sale of the property for non-payment of taxes. Advertisements are published for four consecutive weeks.

Scroll to top